December 13 2021
Forthcoming Speakers and Events 2022
Jan 5th Council meeting (on-line) @ 5.30 pm
Jan 10th Allan Kilpatrick: Men’s Sheds
Jan 17th Sean O' Doherty: Family Carers
Jan 31st Business meeting.
Mar 11th President’s Night at Dublin Castle
Mar 25th-27th Visit to RC Bonn
May 20th-22nd Premio Leonard Leonardo da Vinci weekend, hosted by RC Copenhagen May 9th Annual General Meeting
Jun 13th Club Assembly
The 'Thought for the Day' was delivered by Vasily Ogievsky, who reminded us of the huge amount of information created and circulating every minute. He suggested that the simple way to deal with this is to use information in such a way that it does not harm ourselves, does not harm others and does not harm the world around us.
Visitors and Apologies
At today's Meeting we had a total of 27 members in attendance.
Apologies were received from the following 13 members:
Rana Al Damin; Sinem Balta; Caroline Barnardo; Barra Emmanuel; Dorothy Hannon; David Horkan; Cormac Trant; Hon Treas Dermot Knight; Derek Bell; Paul Loughlin; Patrick White; Ola El Garawany and PP Mark Doyle.
We had no guests today.
Rotary Rangers’ Schedule
Forthcoming Rotary Rangers’ outings are as follows:
December 14th The Little Sugarloaf from Belmont Demesne
December 21st Greystones to Kilcoole and return
December 28th No walk scheduled.
President Alexander reminded all that with regret the Christmas Lunch planned for the 13th December has been cancelled. As a result of the latest Government Covid guidelines, after consulting the hotel manager, the ordinary Monday meeting planned for next Monday 13th December will be held on the ZOOM platform.
Therefore, as this was the last physical meeting of the year President Alexander wished all members and their families a very Happy Christmas.
Frank Bannister commented that the recent online evening meeting with a speaker from Germany was excellent and that more members would have enjoyed it had they attended. He recommended that more such evening online meetings with good national or international speakers should be arranged.
PP Tom O'Neill sought more volunteers for Remembrance Tree duty at the Dundrum SC from the 17th - 23rd December 2021.
Eamonn Allen announced that a QR Code for the Remembrance Tree project is still being worked on.
PP Tony Keegan announced that the Rotary Rangers planned walk for Tuesday 7th Dec is cancelled due to the inclement weather forecast.
The Rotary Club, Dublin - Special General Meeting – 6th December 2021
At 1.30pm President Alexander called the Special General Meeting (SGM) to order and invited PP Ted Corcoran to Chair the Meeting. Hon Sec Tony informed the Chair that as there were 27 members present, more that the quorum requirement of a third of the membership, which is 18, the SGM was fully 'quorate'.
Chairman Ted, proceeding through the Agenda at a canter, delivered:
1. Unanimous approval of the Minutes, which had been circulated to all members in advance of the SGM, of the Annual/Special General Meeting held on the 7th December 2020.
2. On the proposal of PP Tony Keegan, seconded by Frank Bannister, unanimous approval of the examined Annual Accounts for the Rotary Year ended 30th June 2021, as circulated to members before the meeting.
3. On the proposal of President Elect David Booth, seconded by President Alexander Kopf, the election by unanimity of the members present of Vice President Delma Sweeney to be President for the Rotary year 2023/24.
4. On the proposal of President Elect David Booth, seconded by President Alexander Kopf, the election by unanimity of the members present of Vice President Delma Sweeney to be President Elect for the Rotary year 2022/23.
5. On the proposal of Vice President Delma Sweeney, seconded by President Elect David Booth, the election by unanimity of the members present of Pádraig Ó Fainín to be Vice President for the Rotary Year 2022/23.
6. On the proposal of President Elect David Booth, seconded by Vice President Delma Sweeney, the election by unanimity of the members present of Derek Griffith to be Honorary Secretary for the Rotary Year 2022/23.
7. On the proposal of President Elect David Booth, seconded by Vice President Delma Sweeney, and on the proposal of PP Ethna Fitzgerald, seconded by Caroline Barnardo, the election by unanimity of the members present of Eamonn Allen to be Honorary Treasurer for the Rotary year 2022/23.
8. On the proposal of President Elect David Booth, seconded by Vice President Delma Sweeney, the election of Tony Murray to be the Assistant Honorary Treasurer for the Rotary Year 2022/23.
9. On the proposal of President Alexander Kopf, seconded by PP Tony Keegan, the power to nominate 3 Voting Delegates and their substitutes to the RIBI Annual Conference was unanimously delegated to the Council of the Rotary Club, Dublin.
10. On the proposal of President Alexander Kopf, seconded by Hon Sec Tony McCourt, Council's proposal to implement a new Club Committee Structure, as proposed, was unanimously approved by the members present at the meeting.
The SGM was declared by the Chair to be adjourned (sine die, or until December 2022) and, after a brief reflection, to be concluded at 1.45pm.
Hon Secretary of the Rotary Club Dublin Trust Fund, Rotarian Roger Owens, wishes to alert the membership to a very generous donor’s offer to match donations to The Rotary Club Dublin Trust Fund up to €10,000 per year.
Accordingly, all donations are now most welcome. Donations can be made by bank transfer directly to:
The Rotary Club of Dublin Trust Fund
Bank of Ireland
IBAN: IE77 BOFI 9000 1764 7019 81
When making a donation please do remember to add your name and the code TF2021A into the remarks section of the bank transfer.
Do also consider completing either the Revenue CHY3 or CHY4 Form and emailing it firstname.lastname@example.org .
Any donation that is at least €250.00 or more is eligible for Tax Relief after the submission of CHY3 or CHY4 forms to email@example.com . This will allow the Trust Fund to further grow any donation of €250 or more by reclaiming income tax already paid. This is fully explained in the notes attached to the relevant form.
Donations received by the Trust Fund before 31 Dec 2021 will be eligible for tax relief for 2021.